Saturday, January 1, 2011

Mission, the Figurative

A peacefulness fills Mission San Juan Capistano. Perhaps you can feel that by viewing the photos from yesterday's final post of 2010.



While walking through the mission at sunset, I was thinking about my own figurative mission, wondering about my future, and trying to picture what immediate path I need to follow in 2011. Why do we often leave this kind of thinking for the end of the year? Is it because we suddenly realize that another calendar is ready to be thrown out while it seems that it was only yesterday we hung it on the wall?

An interesting discussion about the difference between mission and vision begins with this Japanese Proverb:
Vision without Action is a daydream. Action without Vision is a nightmare.

If you follow the link to the above article, you will see mission defined as enduring purpose. One can spend a lot of years trying to figure out one's purpose. Your purpose can be discovered, but you usually find out that it is something you have always known.

My purpose is to be creative and to be of service. For the next year I have a vision of becoming more known. I tend to be a private person, so that feels a little scary; however, for both business and personal growth, expansion is needed.

One of my goals for this year is to be more on purpose. To live with intention. To think before acting. In order to do that I plan to first revisit my values, then set some measurable goals and objectives, and next start getting the word out. Heck, that might even mean this is the year I must finally give in and embrace a little Facebook. Shoot.

Thank you all for stopping by to visit my blog. Your comments are always valued. It is marvelous knowing that you are out there.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Raven said...

Hi Sharon!

I found your blog by following a common favorite book link that we have in our profiles "The Kin of Ata". Awesome book that tickled my consciousness and popped me out of the box.

I too have been musing on the New Year. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to reading more.