The usual places people like to knit:
- Sunrooms and screenporches
- Near fireplaces or windows
- In one's favorite chair (one forum writer calls her beautiful chair the Knitting Throne)
- Coffee shops, book stores, libraries, or yarn shops with comfy chairs
- In cars, on trains, or on airplanes
- In theatres, hotel lobbies, sports stadiums, or the local pub
- Scenic or tranquil outdoor locations
- Sporting events
- Business or church conferences
- Business meetings
- While stuck on the freeway in a traffic jam
Good to have nearby:
- Other knitters
- Favorite beverage and/or non-sticky finger food
- Knitting supplies and stash
- TV, DVD Player, VCR, or computer
- A waiter
Unusual places or situations:
- One clever knitter taught herself to knit while also doing the grocery shopping.
- The same woman knit while waiting in line for a carnival ride and also knit during the rides.
- Quite a few people could knit while walking.
- One woman like to knit in hotel lobbies, whether she was staying there or not.
- One forum writer loved to knit while traveling around in the cab of her trucker husband's rig.
- One dedicated woman knits in the swimming pool while sitting in a floating pool chair.
- One curious writer said she liked to knit while sitting on the "coach". Now there's an untried idea.
All this research made me ask myself: If I could be knitting anywhere today, where would I want it to be? A houseboat came to mind immediately. (Probably because I've been so busy lately that I haven't much relaxed, and houseboats are so relaxing.)
My next thought was that I hadn't done a Friday Floating Home post for a while. So here's my fantasy for today: sitting and knitting on board a floating home on the Thames with a hot cup of chai tea and some classical music in the background. It's an overcast day with a chance of rain, but there's a fire in the woodstove.
What's would be your happy Friday?